SERVPRO Fire Safety during COVID-19
SERVPRO of Woodland Hills hopes that you are staying safe and healthy during the safer at home order. We also hope that you are also aware of home fire safety. According to the National Fire Protection Act (NFPA), the leading causes of home fires are:
- Electrical equipment
Because people are spending more time at home & engaging in activities that add to home fire dangers, It’s important to recognize potential hazards and prevent them.
The Causes of Home Fires
1. Cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the Los Angeles area. It causes nearly half of all reported home fires & unattended cooking is the leading cause of home cooking fires. So keep a close eye on what you’re cooking and you're less likely to have a home fire.
With COVID-19 in full force in Woodland Hills, there’s a high risk for distracted cooking since many households are now dealing with unusual circumstances. Like, the kids are out of school and the parents are working from home.
2. Heating/cooling equipment - Causes an average of 52k home fires each year. Since most people are at home HVAC systems are being used for more hours than usual.
3. Electrical outlets are the third-highest cause of home fires. Many individuals using the outlets to charge:
- Other digital equipment
Tips to Keep in Mind
The NFPA recommends that you use fire safety practices during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond:
Cooking and Grilling Outdoors
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking. Turn off the stove or other cooking appliances if you leave the kitchen
- Use a timer so you don’t forget that you have something on the stove
- Be sure your smoke detector is working
- Grill outside and away from buildings
- Do not wear loose-fitting clothing while cooking
- Charge phones and other digital devices with proper cords
- When charging do not cover items with a pillow or charge on flammable surfaces such as the bed or couch.
- Don't overload outlets
- Plug appliances directly into a wall outlet
- Never place cords across doorways or under carpets
- Test your smoke alarms monthly
- Make a home escape plan
SERVPRO of Woodland Hills wants to provide you with the resources you need to minimize your risk and help prevent losses and injuries. Please call us with any questions you have about COVID-19 cleanings or if your property suffers from fire or water damage. 818-882-4556